Make two meals at once with this kid-friendly dish. You can liven up the second casserole by stirring in ham and peas, or shredded cooked chicken, or pretty much anything you have on hand.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 (8 ounce) packages shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 (12 ounce) containers small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup butter, melted
Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9 inch square (or similar size baking dishes) with vegetable cooking spray.
Bring 2 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil in a large pot. Add macaroni; using package times as a guide and stirring at the beginning to prevent sticking, cook until tender. Drain, and return to pot. Stir in cheeses and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Turn into prepared pans.
Mix bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake until heated through crumbs are golden, 30 to 35 minutes.