This is an easy and delicious take on a Louisiana classic that you can prepare and cook in 40 minutes! I use turkey kielbasa to cut down on the fat, but not the flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) package turkey kielbasa, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a large skillet over low heat, cook sausage for 5 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender. Pour in beans and tomatoes with juice. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.