Easy to make, these bars are started with a cake mix then improved upon by adding chocolate chips, nuts and spices.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried currants, (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix, cinnamon and cloves. Add egg, oil and applesauce; mix well. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix in currants if desired. spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars.