For a decidedly different luncheon entree, fill tender yellow squash with a colorful egg salad loaded with celery, red bell pepper, green olives, cheddar cheese, fresh basil, dill, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and seasoned salt.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 medium yellow squash
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove and discard pulp. Blanch squash halves by putting in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Plunge squash in ice water to stop cooking.
In a medium bowl, combine chopped eggs, celery, red pepper, sliced green olives, shredded cheese, basil, dill and mayonnaise. Season with cayenne and seasoned salt. Mix well.
Spoon egg mixture into squash halves, mounding if necessary. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly.