A great New Orleans style gravy. We call tomato sauce Red Gravy in the South. Anchovies add flavor, not salt to this recipe. I know you will thank me after you try this recipe.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups peeled, cubed eggplant
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed Italian tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (optional)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 (2 ounce) cans anchovies with capers, mashed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, and bay leaf. Cook and stir until the onion is tender.
Stir in the eggplant, tomatoes (with liquid), tomato paste, mushrooms, and anchovies. Cover, and simmer over low heat until eggplant is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir frequently. When the eggplant is tender, remove the lid, and cook until most of the liquid from the tomatoes has boiled off. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 4 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and stir in the eggplant gravy. Top with Parmesan cheese, and serve.