Hearty eggplant soup made with ground beef and vegetables.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pound eggplant, diced
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry macaroni
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion, beef, and garlic until beef is evenly brown. Drain grease, and mix in eggplant, carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Pour in beef broth. Mix in sugar, and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through.
Mix macaroni into the soup, and continue cooking 12 minutes, or until macaroni is al dente. Mix in parsley. Top with Parmesan chreese to serve.