Lamb meat is cooked with vegetables and seasonings until very tender.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, and brown the lamb on all sides. Mix in the eggplants, tomatoes, onions, green bell peppers, and garlic. Cook and stir until tender and lightly browned.
In a small bowl, blend the tomato paste and water. Mix into the pot with the lamb. Season lamb with allspice, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat shreds easily with a fork. Add a little water as necessary to keep the ingredients moist.