Raisins, celery, sausage, apple and nuts are used in this bread stuffing flavored with orange liqueur. This recipe will generously stuff an 18 to 20 pound turkey.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 (16 ounce) package herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the raisins in a small saucepan, and cover with 1 cup of liqueur. Bring to boil, remove from heat, and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Saute the celery and onion in the butter for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
In the same skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until crumbled and evenly brown. Drain.
Combine the sausage and stuffing mix with the celery and onion mixture. Stir in the raisins and liqueur, pecans, and apples. Mix in melted butter, chicken broth, 1/2 cup orange liqueur; the stuffing should be totally moistened. Season with sage, salt, and pepper.