Plenty of ground beef and kidney beans are seasoned with jalapenos, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, cumin and chili powder in this quick, meaty chili with a kick.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 quart water, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook beef until brown. Drain and return to pot. Stir in onions, bell peppers and jalapenos and cook until tender. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in the tomato paste and kidney beans with their liquid.
In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes with the chipotle peppers until smooth. Stir into the pot with 3 cups of water.
Combine the remaining 1 cup water with the flour in a jar and shake to combine. Pour into the chili and stir in the vinegar. Simmer about 45 minutes before serving.