An impressive medley of end-of-the-summer vegetables, lightly browned with garlic, then baked with cream, eggs, and cheese, and topped with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 small yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise then into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into bite-size strips
- 3 banana (or hot) peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces processed cheese food (eg. Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder to taste (optional)
- onion powder to taste (optional)
- seasoned salt to taste (optional)
- black pepper to taste (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini, yellow squash, green and red bell pepper, and onions; cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and flour.
When vegetables are tender, drain skillet of excess liquid and arrange in the bottom of a large glass baking dish. Season as desired with seasonings of choice, and stir to blend flavors. Distribute cheese cubes evenly over the vegetables. Pour in the egg mixture, and spread bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over the top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until bubbling hot. Remove cover during the last 15 minutes to brown top lightly. Serve immediately.