Traditional recipe for this classic dessert with 37% fewer calories! The cake layer is tender and moist because of the buttermilk in it. EQUAL® provides sweetness and helps save on calories. Serve the cake warm with fat-free whipped topping.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 8 slices canned pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful*
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 6 tablespoons stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup Equal® Spoonful**
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice
Drain pineapple slices, reserving juice. Combine melted butter, 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice, 1/4 cup Equal® Spoonful* and cornstarch in bottom of 9-inch round cake pan. Arrange drained pineapple slices, cherries and nuts over butter mixture.
Beat butter, 1 cup Equal® Spoonful**, eggs and vanilla with electric mixer until blended. Combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk and 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix well after each addition. Spread batter over pineapple slices in pan.
Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand a few minutes, then invert onto serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
* May substitute 6 packets Equal® sweetener
** May substitute 24 packets Equal® sweetener