A traditional holiday vegetable now used as the filling for a dessert pie. Cooked sweet potatoes are combined with eggs, EQUAL®, spices and evaporated milk, then poured into a pie shell and baked. Serve warm a dollop of fat-free topping.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- Pastry for a single crust 9-inch pie
- 2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Equal® Spoonful*
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
Roll pastry on a lightly floured surface into a circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie pan. Ease pastry into pan; trim and flute edge.
Mix sweet potatoes with electric mixer in large bowl until smooth. Stir in eggs, Equal®, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, spices, salt and evaporated milk. Pour mixture into pastry shell.
Bake in preheated 400 degrees F oven 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is set and sharp knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool completely on wire rack. Refrigerate until serving time.
* May substitute 24 packets Equal® sweetener