Shrimp cooked in a tomato stew with celery, bell pepper and onions. Serve over rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 3 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- chili powder to taste
- hot sauce to taste
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, pour in oil and flour to make a roux. Cook together until smooth, stirring constantly, but do not brown.
Stir in onions and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery, bell pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice, tomato paste, tomatoes and shrimp. Add enough water just to cover.
Cook slowly until shrimp are pink and tender; stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder and hot sauce to taste.