This is my mom's dense, excellent, and definitely unhealthy banana nut bread recipe. It's always completely gone in minutes. This is great at parties, but hazardous at home. HEALTH WARNINGS: EBNB may be habit forming.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups mashed overripe bananas
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.
1) Do not taste this in advance of serving.
2) Do not cut loaves prior to serving.
3) Hide it from yourself, your spouse, kids, neighbors and contractors who may be downwind until ready to serve.
4) Cut at the last possible moment, and finally,
5) pre-print 8 or 10 small recipe sheets and leave them wherever you put the EBNB (seriously) otherwise you'll have lots of people bugging you for the recipe.