This marinated smoked tofu fries up into crisp veggie bacon! Freezing the tofu and thawing helps to improve the texture, and makes it easier to slice.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (7.5 ounce) package smoked firm tofu, frozen and thawed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 dash liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Slice the thawed tofu into very thin slices (like bacon). In a medium bowl, stir together the yeast, water, maple syrup, liquid smoke, soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder. Place the tofu strips into the bowl to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Quickly fry tofu strips until crisp, turning once, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
The nutrition data for this recipe includes information for the full amount of the marinade ingredients. Depending on marinating time, ingredients, cooking method, etc., the actual amount of the marinade consumed will vary.