Salad greens, pears, walnuts and gorgonzola are tossed in a cranberry dressing in this beautiful seasonal salad. Serve as the first course to a Thanksgiving meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium heads Belgian endive - washed, dried and chopped
- 2 red Anjou pears
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
In a saucepan, combine vinegar and cranberries. Cook over medium heat until cranberries soften. Remove from heat; add olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Place in blender and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.
Core and julienne one pear, core and dice the other.
In a large bowl, combine the Romaine lettuce, endive, diced pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola. Toss and drizzle with enough dressing to coat.
Divide among salad plates and garnish with julienned pear. Top with any additional walnuts as well.