Holidays just aren't the same without ambrosia. For a sweeter variation, take out the grapefruit and add a small bag of miniature marshmallows.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3 oranges
- 2 grapefruit
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Garnish: maraschino cherries with stems
PEEL and section oranges and grapefruit, catching juice in a bowl. Toss banana slices in fruit juice, and remove with a slotted spoon.
LAYER grapefruit sections, orange sections, chopped cherries, and banana slices into individual bowls. Pour juice over layered fruit.
STIR together mayonnaise, sugar, and orange rind; fold in whipped topping. Spoon over fruit; sprinkle with coconut. Garnish, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.