This is a wonderful appetizer, a bean spread with a Mexican taste. It looks very festive with the red and green toppings, and it's easy to put together. Your guests will be asking for the recipe, so keep it handy ! The two cheeses can be substituted with
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
First (bottom) layer: mix together beans, salsa, cumin, and garlic powder, and spread on large, flat serving dish as a thin layer, maybe 1/2 inch thick.
Second (middle) layer: mix together sour cream and taco seasoning, and spread over bean layer.
Third (top) layer: sprinkle the cheese on first, then top with chopped tomatoes and green onions.
Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for about an hour. Serve cold with tortilla chips.