This is a large recipe that is rich and dark. Make a few weeks ahead of time. The walnuts can be chopped or left whole.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 12 cups raisins
- 3 cups dried currants
- 2 pounds candied mixed fruit
- 1 pound candied cherries
- 1 (16 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 1/4 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 12 egg whites
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease four 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans, and then line with brown paper or foil. Grease again.
In a large container stir raisins, currants, candied fruit mix, candied cherries, maraschino cherries, dates, and 1 cup flour together until all the fruit is well coated with flour.
Measure 2 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Stir to mix.
In a very large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in egg yolks three at a time. Stir in pineapple with juice and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with fruit juice in 2 parts to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in walnuts.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into batter, and stir in fruit gently. Divide batter among pans. Smooth.
Bake for about 3 hours until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.