Fettuccine, Chicken and Beans Alfredo is a low fat, high fiber variation on the traditional theme. It has terrific flavor in a blend of cubed chicken and Red beans with Parmesan cheese over fettuccine.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 8 ounces fettuccini pasta
- 14 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add Fettuccine pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Saute chicken in 1 tablespoon butter in large saucepan until browned and no longer pink in the center, 5 to 8 minutes; remove chicken and reserve.
Add green onions and garlic and saute in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; stir in flour and basil and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Stir in milk and heat to boiling; boil, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
Stir in reserved chicken, beans and peas; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Spoon over fettuccine and toss.