The delightful surprise ingredient in this sauce is cinnamon, and I guarantee that it's absolutely delicious! In the military, the term "field grade" is for Colonels and Generals, as in "He's a field grade officer." That's how this recipe got it's name...
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can canned mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
In a large skillet, brown the meat with the garlic over medium heat. Stir in the wine; simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
Mix in dry onion soup mix, mushrooms, basil, salt and pepper, cinnamon, allspice, parsley, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Cover pan almost completely, allowing space for steam to escape, and simmer 1 hour. Add additional water if needed to prevent sticking.