I don't really care for stuffed green peppers, but I have found that I really like them with yellow, orange, or red peppers. The salsa gives these an added kick.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups salsa, divided
- 1 orange bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
In a bowl, mix the cooked rice, beef, onion, egg, salt, and 1/2 cup salsa. Stuff orange, yellow, and red bell pepper halves with equal amounts of the rice mixture. Arrange pepper halves in the baking dish, and top with remaining salsa.
Bake uncovered 1 hour in the preheated oven, until peppers are soft and filling has reached a minimum temperature of 160 degrees F (72 degrees C).