Cayenne pepper provides the "fire " in this salad of tomatoes, peppers and onions marinated in a cooked dressing. Sliced cucumbers provide the "ice " as they are tossed into the salad just before serving.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in rings
- 1 red onion, sliced in rings
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 4 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large cucumber
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers and onions.
Prepare the dressing in a saucepan by combining the vinegar, celery salt, mustard seed, sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper and water. Boil for 1 minute and pour hot dressing over vegetables. Refrigerate until chilled.
Before serving, peel and slice cucumber; add to vegetables and toss.