Snapper is boiled with an exotic blend of tart, spicy ingredients to create a wonderfully fragrant Asian-style broth.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 cups water
- 6 stalks lemon grass, ground
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice
- salt to taste
- 2 pounds red snapper fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Mix in shallots, garlic, crushed red pepper, and turmeric. Cook and stir until shallots are tender, about 5 minutes. Pour water into skillet, and mix in lemon grass and tamarind juice. Season with salt. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Stir snapper into boiling mixture. Cook 10 minutes, or until fish pieces are easily flaked with a fork.