An overnight marinade performs double duty, gently flavoring and tenderizing this lean cut of beef. It can be grilled to perfection in only minutes.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (1 pound) beef flank steak
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the steak with shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals, making diamond shapes. Repeat on other side. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the next five ingredients. Add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for rare, a meat thermometer should read 140 degrees; medium, 160 degrees; well-done, 170 degrees). Thinly slice steak across the grain; serve with sauce.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1/4 of steak with 2 tablespoons sauce) equals 225 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.