Working moms appreciate meals like this one that they can whip up in no time using whatever vegetables are on hand.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine, apple juice or water
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen pea pods, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, undrained
- hot cooked rice
In a bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce and wine, apple juice or water until smooth. Add beef and toss to coat; set aside.
In a large skillet, stir-fry broccoli, carrots, pea pods and onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 1 minute. Stir in water chestnuts. Cover and simmer for 4 minutes; remove and keep warm.
In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in remaining oil until meat reaches desired doneness. Return vegetables to pan; toss. Serve over rice.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (prepared with light soy sauce and water; calculated without rice) equals 313 calories, 466 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 21 g carbohydrate, 31 g protein, 12 g fat, 7 g fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.