Easy Herbed Focaccia adds an Italian twist to any sandwich!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 recipe Easy Herbed Focaccia
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked ham
- 2 (8 ounce) packages finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini slices (12 to 15 peppers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- Garnishes: fresh rosemary sprigs, whole pimiento-stuffed olives
- Easy Herbed Focaccia
- You may substitute 1 tablespoon dried rosemary for 1/4 cup fresh. Divide into 3/4 and 1/4 tablespoon to follow recipe.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen bread dough, thawed
- all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Easy Herb Focaccia: BRUSH a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil; set aside.
TURN bread dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times or until smooth.
STIR together butter, 3 tablespoons rosemary, and Parmesan cheese; gradually knead mixture into bread dough until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour, if necessary.
PRESS dough evenly into prepared pan. Using fingertips, press small indentations in top of dough; sprinkle with garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with kosher salt, if desired, and pepper. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
BAKE at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares.
Focaccia Deli Sandwiches: CUT Easy Herbed Focaccia crosswise in half using a serrated knife; cut each portion lengthwise in half.
SPREAD mayonnaise over cut sides of top halves, and spread Dijon mustard over cut sides of bottom halves.
LAYER bottom halves with salami and next 5 ingredients; add top halves.
WRAP sandwiches in Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, and seal. Place in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
BAKE at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Cut into 8 squares, and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.