It's easy to buy a cooked hen, take the meat off the bone and use it in a 'wow' recipe. I especially like it for dishes like this curry that I might not have time to make from scratch.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skinned and boned, meat pulled into large chunks
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- To serve:
- Cooked basmati rice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- mango chutney
Mix spices in small bowl. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or small soup kettle over medium-high heat; add onion and saute until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add garlic; saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spices; toast until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add chicken; stir until completely coated with spices. Add coconut milk, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer; cook uncovered until flavors blend and stew is thick, about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, sprinkle with cilantro and serve over rice. Pass chutney separately.
This recipe was originally featured in the USA WEEKEND article Rottisserie Chicken Jump-starts Snazzy Meals on September 5, 2004.
Find the Perfect Recipe from Pam Anderson.Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.