Thickly sliced onions are slowly cooked in butter, then combined with beef broth and Romano cheese before being ladled into bowls, and topped with toast and cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds yellow onions, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
In a large pot over low heat, melt butter. Cook onions in butter until soft and golden brown, 15 to 30 minutes.
Pour in beef broth and consomme and simmer 10 minutes.
Preheat oven broiler.
Whisk Romano into soup and season with salt and pepper. Pour soup into 8 ovenproof bowls. Top with toasted slices of bread and grated Gruyere.
Place bowls under broiler until cheese melts.