Whole wheat bread and reduced-fat Swiss cheese transform this soup into a hearty and filling meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound onions, sliced
- 2 (14.25 ounce) cans low-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 6 slices SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in the saucepan for 20 minutes. Mix in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
Preheat the oven broiler.
Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted and golden.
Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Top each serving with a slice of the toasted bread.
The original recipe, French Onion Soup II, was submitted by Corwynn Darkholme, and contains 213 calories, 11.3 g fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 20.2 g carbohydrates, 2.2 g fiber, and 8 g protein.