This is my favorite emergency meal, made almost entirely of pantry ingredients when a trip to the store has been missed or is out of the question for some reason.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans; drain and reserve liquid
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried cilantro
Bring a medium size pot of water to a boil, add rice. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Let rice simmer 15-20 minutes, until tender.
Place beans and rice in a medium size saucepan. Heat over a medium heat, stirring frequently. Stir in reserved bean liquid as needed. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice, garlic powder and cilantro. Let sit a moment, and stir in fresh oregano. Serve immediately.