Lindsay® Extra-Large Black olives are stuffed with a garlic, basil, and lemon-scented anchovy paste, lightly breaded, then fried for an impressive, mouthwatering appetizer much different from the usual, and often repeated, standard party fare.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 24 Lindsay® Extra-Large Black Ripe Pitted Olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup plain or seasoned bread crumbs
- Olive oil, for frying
In a small bowl make a paste of the garlic, anchovy paste, lemon zest, thyme and basil. Fill a small pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip with the paste. Stuff olives. Roll in flour, then dip in eggs and finally roll in crumbs. Fry in oil at a moderate temperature (250-to 275-degrees F.) until crisp and golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot.
Substitute 5 to 6 tablespoons prepared dried tomato tapenade or basil pesto for the garlic-anchovy paste; proceed as directed above.