Love tiramisu but don't have time to make it? My ice cream version rivals the real thing and can be prepared in under half an hour, no pastry skills required - not a bad return on a dessert that serves up to 14 people.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 cup strong coffee (made from instant is fine)
- 3 tablespoons rum (dark or light)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfingers
- 1/2 gallon coffee ice cream, softened on microwave's defrost setting for 1 minute
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely grated
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
Mix coffee and rum. Line a 2-quart metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang. Use a pastry brush to paint the spiked coffee onto the ladyfingers. Then line the bottom and sides of the pan with ladyfingers, rounded side out.
Reserving 1/2 cup of chocolate for garnish, stir rest of chocolate into ice cream. Turn ice cream into loaf pan, using a rubber spatula to press ice cream evenly into pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.
When ready to serve, mix cheese, liqueur and sugar until smooth; whisk in half-and-half to form a thick but pourable sauce. Unmold dessert, using ends of plastic wrap to remove it from pan; peel away wrap. Slice loaf, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with chocolate.
This recipe was originally featured in the USA WEEKEND article A Trio of Frozen Desserts on May 2, 2004.
Find the Perfect Recipe from Pam Anderson.Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.