Fruit fritters? Are we crazy? No, its true you can deep fry with Enova oil and still maintain, not gain, weight. When made with Enova oil, these fruit fritters are a wonderful way to treat yourself.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- Fritter Batter:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups water (seltzer water will add a lightness to the batter)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cups Enova oil (or enough to properly fill your deep-fryer)
- Coconut Cheese (can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time, keep refrigerated until service) 1/2 cup per serving
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (toasted will add crunch and increased flavor)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (walnuts or macadamia nuts also work well)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- Fruit (any firm fruit can be used, but avoid using citrus fruits or melons)
- 8 ripe bananas
- 2 mangoes cut in slices
- 2 Red Delicious apples
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
To make the fritter batter, combine the dry ingredients (flour through ginger) in a large bowl. Mix well. Combine the wet ingredients (vanilla through honey) in a bowl and mix well. Add the wet to dry and mix well.
To make the coconut cheese, cream the cream cheese in a mixer until smooth. Add yogurt and vanilla and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and fold into cream cheese mixture. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Wash, cut and pat the fruit dry. Dip into the fritter batter and deep-fry in the Enova oil heated to 375 degrees F for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Allow to drain for 1 minute.
To serve, place 2 slices of the apple fritter in the middle of the plate. Top with the coconut cheese. Arrange the remaining fruit around the coconut cheese. Finish with the chocolate syrup drizzled over the top.