For this eclectic treat, cherries, dried cranberries, apples, currants and gooseberries are sweetened, spiced and baked up until golden and fragrant. This generous 3-pie recipe will delight a fruit-loving crowd.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 3 recipes pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pitted sour red pie cherries
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 4 cups dried currants
- 3 cups dried cranberries
- 2 (16 ounce) cans gooseberries
- 6 apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together cherries, cherry pie filling, currants, cranberries, gooseberries, apples, sugar, cinnamon, and almond extract. Allow to set 15 minutes.
Spoon equal amounts of fruit mixture into 3 pastry-lined 9 inch pie pans. Dot each pie with 1 tablespoon butter. Cover each pie with top pastry. Seal edges and cut steam vents in tops.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.
Baking pie is a rather straightforward technique, but a few tips can only help to make your pies come out looking and tasting perfect!