This is my 90-year-old grandmother's recipe. Very simple.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dried mixed fruit
- 1 1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups brandy
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Grease and flour a tube pan.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. Add eggs, lemon rind, vanilla, and 1/2 cup brandy. Mix thoroughly. Stir in fruit, nuts, and melted butter. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake at 225 degrees F (110 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Wrap cooled cake in foil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons brandy over the cake everyday for 2 weeks.