This unusual Italian dessert salad uses acini di pepe-27 pasta, which are small and go well with the completed dish.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and halved
- 1 cup canned grapes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, minced
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions; drain and reserve.
In a small saucepan, beat eggs with a wire whisk until foamy. Stir in reserved pineapple juice, lemon juice, sugar, butter and salt.
Cook mixture over low heat until thickened and coats the spoon; stir constantly for 2 minutes and cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, combine pasta, pineapple, oranges, grapes and marshmallows; mix well. Fold in egg mixture and whipped cream; cover and chill.
When chilled, stir mixture and garnish with cherries; serve.