This is an excellent vegetable dish from Sierra Leone. A tantalizing marinated eggplant and tomato salad tossed with coconut and peanuts just before serving for an exotic crunch.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the eggplant in the butter until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine the hot pepper, tomatoes, onion, and eggplant. Mix together the vinegar and oil, pour over the vegetables, and toss gently to coat. Cover, and chill for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Toss salad with coconut and peanuts just before serving.