I made up this recipe for a cool summer dish to take to a picnic. I just threw together things I had on hand and it became a hit! You may substitute your favorite type of bean for the garbanzos. Any firm bean will do. You may omit the jalapeno altogether.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
In a large bowl, mix the garbanzo beans, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, red onion, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lemon juice, and olive oil. Drizzle over the salad, and toss to coat. Refrigerate salad at least 4 hours before serving.