This classic Greek shrimp dish is baked with a tomato sauce and topped with feta cheese. Relatively quick and simple to make. This recipe goes wonderfully with rice pilaf and some crusty bread.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until transparent. Stir in green onions and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine, most of the parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
Spread half the sauce on the bottom of a large oven dish. Arrange shrimp evenly over sauce, and pour the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Cook in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until shrimp are pink and the feta is melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining parsley, and serve immediately.