Serve these shrimp, sauteed with whole cloves of garlic, chile peppers, and fresh rosemary, as either an appetizer or a main dish over pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 dried red chile peppers
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Garnishes: lemon slices, red chile peppers, fresh rosemary sprigs
PEEL shrimp, leaving tails on; devein, if desired, and set aside.
MELT butter with oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cut garlic bulb in half crosswise; separate and peel cloves. Add to butter mixture; saute 2 minutes.
STIR in wine and next 8 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
ADD shrimp; cook 5 to 6 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Garnish, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.