Fresh beets are boiled until tender, and then tossed with a sweet and spicy caraway and clove vinaigrette.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 bunches beets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
Wash beets and trim off greens. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add beets and cook, covered, until beets are tender. Remove from heat, drain, and peel and slice when cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, caraway seeds, sugar, onion, horseradish, cloves, salt, pepper and oil. Add beets and toss to coat. Let stand for several hours, stirring occasionally. Serve at room temperature or chilled, as desired.