Beef strips and vegetables are cooked in tomatoes with ginger, turmeric, and garlic, and served over hot rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried chile pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed onion soup
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 quart water
In a large bowl, mix onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, dried chile pepper, and salt. Place flank steak in the mixture, and toss to coat. Cover, and place in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, and stir in onion and steak mixture. Cook and stir until steak is lightly browned. Mix in tomatoes, and cook over high heat about 10 minutes.
Mix onion soup into the Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, until meat is tender.
Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve the steak mixture over the cooked rice.