Soft cookies, with a touch of spice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in molasses and eggs. Stir in vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Gradually stir into the butter mixture. Lightly cover a piece of wax paper with sugar. Drop tablespoon-sized pieces of dough onto paper and coat with sugar.
Bake 14 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.