Love gingerbread? Why not have it for breakfast? These pancakes combine the warm flavors of cocoa, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and hazelnuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 3 cups milk
- 6 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons dark molasses
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon and cloves; stir in hazelnuts. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together milk, egg whites and molasses.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir just enough to moisten; batter will be lumpy.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.