These are the richest appetizers we have ever served. They are wonderful with wine and cheese! A version of this recipe was a gift from a friend and we have enjoyed it along with our guests. Use as much Gorgonzola as suits your taste!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 3/4 cup chopped green olives
- 3/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves packed in brine
In a bowl, mix the green olives, kalamata olives, Gorgonzola cheese, macadamia nuts, basil, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
Lay each grape leaf flat, and place a heaped tablespoonful of the olive and Gorgonzola mixture in the center. Fold or roll the leaves around the mixture. Chill until serving.