A quick apple pie with a crumbly streusel topping made with buttermilk baking mix.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 6 cups apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk baking mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk baking mix
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine, chilled
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
In a large bowl, combine apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, white sugar and 1/2 cup baking mix. Stir together the milk and eggs and mix into apple mixture, Pour filling into pie plate and dot with butter.
To make the Topping: In a large bowl, combine 1 cup baking mix, walnuts, brown sugar and margarine. Mix until crumbly and sprinkle over top of apples.
Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until apples are cooked and topping is golden brown.
Baking pie is a rather straightforward technique, but a few tips can only help to make your pies come out looking and tasting perfect!