This is a great meaty pasta sauce recipe passed down through the generations from my great great grandfather in Sicily. I also use this sauce when I make my lasagna. I don't like large chunks of meat in my sauce, so I put it all in the food processor when
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 pound round steak, cubed
- 1 pound veal, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the sausage, round steak, and veal 10 minutes, until evenly browned. Remove meat from skillet and drain, reserving about 1 tablespoon drippings.
Stir the garlic into the skillet with the reserved meat drippings, and cook about 3 minutes over medium heat. Place the crushed tomatoes into the skillet. Season with Italian seasoning, bay leaf, garlic powder, oregano, pepper, and parsley. Cook 15 minutes.
Mix the tomato sauce into the skillet, and continue cooking 15 minutes.
Return the meat to the skillet. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.