Yummy granola! I learned this recipe while working at a Bed and Breakfast in DC. All credit goes to "Little Miss Mary!" This recipe calls for 8 ounces of almonds but we recommend using any nuts you desire -- they are all delicious!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 2 bananas, peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups quick cooking oats
- 8 ounces dried mixed fruit
- 8 ounces blanched slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
Puree the bananas and dates in a food processor. Add the brown sugar, hot water, vanilla and cinnamon; mix well.
Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl, add oatmeal and mix well.
Spread onto large baking sheets and bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours stirring frequently. Cook longer for crunchier if desired. Once cooled add the dried fruits and nuts, as little or as much as you want, and mix.