This great sausage and bacon stuffing is made with turkey sausage AND turkey bacon for lots of great turkey flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 6 ounces turkey bacon
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 loaves SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread, cubed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
Place sausage in a large Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring to crumble, until evenly brown. Drain.
Add the bacon to the sausage along with the butter, onions, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, and mushrooms. Season with pepper, celery salt, seasoning salt, poultry seasoning, basil, garlic powder, and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 10 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
Gradually stir the bread cubes into the mixture, thoroughly blending until all pieces are coated. Transfer to a roasting pan, or two 2 quart casserole dishes. Alternately, use to stuff a turkey.
Bake in the preheated oven 40 to 60 minutes, or until the top begins to brown.
The original recipe, Tom Szaller's Great Pan or Bird Stuffing, was submitted by Tom Szaller, and contains 259 calories, 10.8 g fat, 23 mg cholesterol, 998 mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, 2.4g fiber, and 8.5g protein.